• Portability – On average, Americans spend about 12 minutes eating breakfast each day and more of those occasions are now on the go. (WSJ)
• Breakfast Sandwiches – Dominate number of tweets. Click on the first link below to get the top heart stoppers in American that will spark your innovative juices.
• Regionalization – Breakfast all day a given; what consumers eat varies by region.
So What: Breakfast items will continue to be the gateway to menu innovation.
Chicken: White or Dark Meat?
So What: Winning formula: chicken white meat = flavor = signature menu item.
Snacking: Snacking – In Lieu of Lunch
So What: Simplify operations, miniaturize existing menu items positioned as snacks.
Snacking: Nutrition Trends
So What: Make alternative ingredient snacks a new product priority given their future sales potential.
Beverages: Product Safety & Integrity
So What: Be careful when innovating new flavors and utilize ingredients that will result in authentic, clean labeling since consumers are becoming more knowledgeable when it comes to product safety and integrity.
Segment Competition: Food Halls
So What: Food halls are a major treat moving forward. Operators need to rethink value, menu variety and loyalty to remain competitive or join the party with their own food hall concept.
Consumerism: Millennial Targeting
• Authenticity – Be real, honest, encourage two-way engagement.
• Social Trust – Deliver consistent messaging and sustainable value to build brand loyalty. Millennials will control long-term purchasing power.
• Understand Millennial Eating Behavior – Deliver healthy food, conveniently. Millennials are adventurous, thus covet global flavors, ethnic food.
So What: Target Millennials to build the future consumer base (a.k.a. foundation) for your business.
Consumerism: Health & Wellness Hot Buttons
• Eating wholesome, fresh, organic, non-GMO, etc.
• Utilizing technology for information and monitoring.
• Convenience, fast.
• “Good food” delivered by socially responsible* organizations/brands.
*locally sourced ingredients, donations to charities, animal welfare, environmentally reliable
So What: Address and clearly communicate how your organization is adopting to consumers health and wellness hot buttons, one consumer at a time.